Goals/Resolutions are funny things. I am naturally a goal oriented person. During my teenage years I set a lot of difficult goals and worked hard to reach them. I succeeded. Honestly, I accomplished a lot. Around age 20 I started to realize that setting and reaching goals has its drawbacks. I got so worried about reaching my goals that I often didn't enjoy pursuing them. Even when I achieved the goal, I was so focused on setting a new one I wouldn't appreciate my own achievements. Around age 20 that changed. No more goals, no more to-do lists. Work hard and enjoy life. It was a good change, but I found that I became less productive. So now I am somewhere in the middle. My goals are simple, realistic, and achievable. They should keep me on the right path and let me enjoy the ride.
Here are my fishing/outdoors resolutions for 2012:
1. Run at least 365 miles. In 2011 I ran 180 miles. This will challenge me, but I can do it. In addition to running I enjoy cycling and swimming, but running is the easiest, least enjoyable, and quite frankly, the most important in my mind. If I can stay running I will also be doing the others and staying in shape.
2. Run a sub 20 minute 5K - officially. I used-ta-coulda no problem. I'm certainly fast enough, I just need to build up my endurance a bit.
3. Catch a fish in every month. Simple enough. I accomplished this in 2009 and 2010. I can do it again.
4. Catch the following species of fish:
Warmwater: Largemouth bass (any kind), smallmouth bass, bluegill, crappie.
Trout: Rainbow, brown, cutthroat, brookie.
I actually caught all 4 trout in December of 2011 alone. The only warm water species I caught was a largemouth bass. Living in northern Mississippi this has to improve! I am very excited about the local opportunities to catch warm water fish.
There you have them. Now they are official. I'm committed. Here we go.
Jay and I can definitely show you a few places around the north MS area to increase your warmwater species. Sounds like a good list of goals.
ReplyDeleteExcept for the Smallmouth... you have to drive to AR or AL for those. The only place you can technically get them in MS is Pickwick Lake. There are some good spots for Spots (Spotted Bass) closer to home though.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comments guys. I would love to have you show us around a bit! I've lived around trout most of my life, so I am really excited about the prospect of catching the warm water species around here. Cheryl is up to catch anything! It's been very hard to find information on smaller fisheries, and I'm having a hard time adjusting to the lack of public land in the area. FYI Jay, if you want someone to accompany you on a snake hunt sometime, I would love to tag along. I'm as curious as they come, and I've never seen most of the southern snakes. We call Cheryl Chachachacheryl because she has an uncanny ability to attract rattlers. She wishes she wouldn't!
ReplyDeleteI like the resolutions, my brother! I didn't know you had set up some ambitious running goals and other such resolutions for yourself. That a good kid!
ReplyDeleteRattlers are pretty rare in these parts. I would be thoroughly impressed if Cheryl could attract one around here.
ReplyDeleteI'd be glad to show you some of the snakes and help you adjust to the lack of public land. It's definitely different than the west. There are plenty of places to fish, but it will be unlike anything you've probably done before.
I'm looking forward to spring and the return of warmwater fun.