Sunday, January 12, 2014

Farewell (For Now) To the Home Waters

Saturday, January 3, 2014 - Lower Provo River

After spending a week with my family in Utah, I flew back to Washington on Christmas Day to work for a week.  On New Years Day I was able to return to my family in Utah.  I only got one day to spend on the river, and again, I couldn't convince anyone to go with me, so I was off by myself.
Average Provo River Rainbow trout - it's nice to call a trout like this "average".
The weather was warmer but breezy, and being a Saturday, I had company on the river.  For whatever reason, the fishing was slower.  I still caught my share of trout, but the two big ones I hooked eluded capture, and things just didn't seem to be firing on all cylinders.
Another football rainbow.  I love the spots on the eyes.
After fishing sowbugs as the point fly for three and a half days, I decided to change things up and put on a "big" #14 Copper John, mostly using it to add weight to my offerings.  As luck would have it, I caught three fish in the next hour on the Copper John.  Go figure!
Copper John in the maws of a nice rainbow.
It's always hard to leave the river on the last afternoon.  I know I'll be back and that the fish will still be there.  I look forward to that day.  Until then, it's all about finding the next new adventure, and remembering trips past.  I'll see you in July, Provo River.

The shadows growing long on the Provo River.  There's also about 6 wild turkey flying in this photo - just a bit too far out for my zoom to capture!

No comments:

Post a Comment