Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Never Leave Them Biting

"Never leave them biting."  It's good advice.  I love exploring,  finding new water, and learning new techniques.  Once you finally find the fish, though, stay there and catch them.  You may not find more. 

I found hungry fish in my new home in Northern Mississippi.  There are four days of rain in the forecast starting tomorrow.  Next week I am essentially on house arrest due to work.  Who knows if the fish will still be there in two weeks when I get back?  Yesterday afternoon I got off work a couple hours early, grabbed my fly rod, and hit the water.  I don't know if I will be able to find them again.


Nice white bass and a gorgeous Mississippi sunset. 

Although I caught over a dozen white bass, the highlights were two 14+" white bass that fought wonderfully.  After hauling in smaller fish it is fun to hook something that makes a strong run immediately, making you check your coils of line to make sure you don't get it caught around your feet, and wondering if this is really a white bass that you just hooked.  I almost put both of them on the reel.  They were a blast, and if they are gone in a couple weeks, I'm going to miss them!

I'm hoping to get out Saturday, but the weather forecast doesn't look good.  After that it will be a couple weeks.  My recent success has whet my appetite, and it is going to be a long, difficult wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment